Tuesday, April 21, 2009

god is very busy


one of my biggest pet peeves (i know, i know -- so many, so little time) is the insistence of a certain type of christian that god is micro-managing their lives. he told both george bush and sarah palin to run for office; invade iraq and carry a down's syndrome baby to term. he has been directly responsible for countless afc, nfl and nba championships.

godless whore that i am, even if i DID believe, i'm logical enough to think the guy would be too busy to watch football. even if he does still kick back on sundays. (he has all that extra time saved cuz he doesn't have to go to church!) having the hubris to believe he's minutely concerned with *your* daily life is shocking to me. if i DID believe, i'd think of it as disrespectful. he should be a big picture guy and we should be managing on our own, tyvm, not asking god if i should wear black or brown pumps to the interview for cryin' out loud. back in the day, if you ran around saying god was in your ear, you likely wound up either in bedlam or sizzlin' and smokin' at the stake.

the latest god-jawing nincompoop is the miss california who lost the miss usa crown this past weekend. carrie prejean was asked by belligerently gay parasitic celebutard perez hilton if she believed in gay marriage. she answered:

"We live in a land where you can choose same-sex marriage or opposite. And you know what, I think in my country, in my family, I think that I believe that a marriage should be between a man and a woman. No offense to anybody out there, but that's how I was raised."

"i think that i believe."

i assume there is a certain amount of verbal 2-stepping pageant girls learn to do around these sorts of hot button topics, much like politicians, but with boob jobs and veneers. i've seen clips and sorry, but it seems like hilton ambushed the girl. (punk'd mebbe?) she calmly stated her opinion. that's it. she didn't wish fire and brimstone or herpes of the ass to befall all the homosexuals. in the fall-out, hilton acted like a pissy high school girl, referring to prejean as a "dumb bitch" and a "cunt". woot! well done. way to elevate the discourse.

why anyone really cares what this girl thinks is beyond me, and it's not like she's the only person in the world to have that opinion, but even larry king has been in on it. ok, but here's what makes my agnostic teeth itch:

"Out of all the topics I studied up on, I dreaded that one, I prayed I would not be asked about gay marriage."

sooooo, god refuted your prayer and refused to help you win the crown. or wasn't listening, or was busy helping the red sox, or something.

oh, what? wait? no?...

"By having to answer that question in front of a national audience, God was testing my character and faith. I'm glad I stayed true to myself."

phew. he WAS watching the pageant. and so all good girlz go to heaven, according to the first responder on carrie's homepage:

"thank you for standing for what you believe in Carrie...God sees what you have done and He will honor you for that! Your "crown" will be in heaven one day...and that is really the only one that truly matters!"

carry on, friends. i have to talk to god about what's for lunch.

No comments: