Sunday, July 09, 2006

affirmation and crystal balls

one of the stranger and more intuitive parts of my job is knowing how, when and/or if to *insert* myself at a table. sometimes it's simply a discreet consultation with the host, other times it's a full-blown song-and-dance act. ultimately, the one who ordered has to feel validated, and i'm responsible for making that happen too.

tonight, a 4-top -- 2 married couples, late 20s. the energy was great, they were having fun. clearly there was a good-natured debate about something. the guy with the wine list looks at me and says, "she (his wife) never tells me i'm right. she never thinks i'm right. tell her "x", and that i'm right." he was right, so i rolled the dice and agreed. "YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!! MAN!!! she never tells me i'm right!!!" guys back-slapping, women tittering, lots of laughs all around. (score for me, of course... ) at that moment, i could have made him buy anything. but my conscience wouldn't allow me to choke his wallet on the vino, because i knew what the divorce lawyer would cost him eventually. i guided him gently within a comfortable dollar and flavor zone, all the while wishing for my crystal ball instead of my wine key.

i was thunderstruck by how easy it was to make his day, and made terribly wistful by my noodle-vision of his future.

No comments: