Saturday, January 31, 2009

knowing me, knowing you

in between tasks today, i had some lively discourse on a local board. my participation waxes and wanes with my free time and the topics running.

the recent opening of a place with a french 3-star michelin chef attached has people going crazy, lol. the project got waylaid when the original management company pulled out and that delayed the opening by about 8 months. luxury condos are attached and it sits on very pricey waterfront property.

caveat: i have not been to the restaurant. in fact, i was offered a chance to go last night for drinks, but my foul-weather gear made me feel under-dressed. my expense-account wielding companion agreed so we'll try another night.

the boards were a-twitter with talk of $20 martinis, but next to nothing about the food. (dial up your way-back machines, my friends, and i was a bartender at the place that broke the $10 glass of wine ceiling. the office chix in keds/anklets/anne taylor went insane.) the economy and the weather have kept many away, but an astonishing number had fierce opinions about a place they have never been. lmao.

the op sparked related threads. one poster and i had an interesting back and forth in all of them. he eventually linked his website. it has his picture. i know him. i laughed out loud. while polite, he always treated me as a lackey when dining in my places of employ. yet my nom de net allowed me the veil so he instead saw me as somebody passionate, knowledgeable and *equal*.

in that same set of threads someone began stalking me with the j'accuse of "tell us where you work, or your words don't mean jack." the site is tightly moderated, so all his queries did get deleted, but not before a bunch of "whoa, dude, how dare you?" replies popped up. i like to think i post in a thoughtful and passionate way -- my devotion to food and grape apparent and articulate. my defenders agreed, lol.

strange small world.

the web derailed my life once, ya know? not again, my friends. not again.


No comments: