Monday, February 02, 2009

pre-conceived notions

this is not my first recession nor downturn. there were mini quakes in the late 80s and the dot-com bust hit our fair city pretty hard. i gotta admit, i don't miss the hubris of those fidelity guys. (more fucking ARAUJO!!! followed by "i can't imagine making any more money." yeah. actual quote. where is he now? selling his used shirts?)

but this?

waiters do not get "laid off". business drives the schedule, so if there isn't much, and you're low man on totem pole, you're out of luck. BUT, you still "have a job", ya know? it's about volume.

today, my day off, i got a string of beseeching e-mails: "laid off." "let go." "no room on the schedule." etc. good, solid people i would love to clone. my own employer has us all in a panic with the savage paring of the payroll, and we don't have a helluva lot going on the next few months. so little the few of us remaining are full of gallows humor as to whom might be next. we all know it's "me". (the generic me, not me myself, lol) whaddya do? the best you can is it.

any mis-step might be the last.

never.

nothing.

nothing like it.

scariest times evah.

i'm glad i don't have kids right now.







No comments: