Tuesday, September 05, 2006

in my life

There are places I'll remember
All my life, though some have changed
Some forever, not for better
Some have gone and some remain
All these places had their moments
With lovers and friends,
I still can recall

Some are dead and some are living
In my life, I've loved them all

But of all these friends and lovers
There is no one compares with you
And these memories lose their meaning
When I think of love as something new
Though I know I'll never lose
affection
For people and things that went before
I know I'll often stop and think about them
In my life, I'll love you more

Though I know I'll never lose affection
For people and things that went before
I know I'll often stop and think about them
In my life, I'll love you more


the beatles were broken up a long time before i had an allowance and could buy records, so i was too little to get into the "who's-cuter-john-or-paul?" fight club. regardless, in my room with my imaginary sister, i predictably fell into the john camp (brains over cutes winning out, while playing the white album for the millionth time in a row...), with a small secondary crush on george. in my personal index , if you can't like "here comes the sun" you have a stone for a heart.

john had not met yoko when he wrote this. yeah, yeah, she broke up the beatles, but can
anybody deny that she brought him astonishing inner peace and personal tranquility? "imagine", anybody? yet, life has shown me that it was always within him. he just needed a reason, *the* reason, to find it and express it. to live it. without her, would he have known it?

today i heard a johhny cash version of this song. it was astounding in the resonance of
a life lived, and lived so much. it also swiftly brought me to tears reminding me cash died of a broken heart.

No comments: