Tuesday, August 03, 2010

dumb and dumber

one of my issues with "reality tv", from its inception, is that i have zero interest in spending my tube time watching people dumber than i am. that also eliminates most sit-coms as well, but whatevs.

as the genre infests more and more programming time and proliferating channels have more hours that must be cheaply filled, it's just everywhere. and the gossip about the house-witches and the hills who have eyes and the biggest giant losers starving in tv boot camp is nearly unavoidable -- unless i never turn on my internet, or stand in a check-out line.

the corollary to this is a topic i've mentioned before and that is the astounding bottom-of-the-deck intellect of some of my co-workers. really... just... staggering. as the owner tries to maker me a nicer person, i nearly bloody my lips many days biting back the most obvious of remarks and simple observations.

k. sooooo.

there is some show about spoiled brats all chucked in a house with no staff, no money, blah-di-blah. "cut off". my co-worker, a., goes to great lengths explaining this premise. emmm, ok. her eyes fill with wonder when she retells that the girls "didn't know what a broom was and one started to sweep the couch with it."

me: "these girls had servants at home, right?"

a.: "well, yeah, that's why they didn't know what a broom is, or what you use it for."

my mind snaps thinking a. has no idea what servants do and secondly these brats have assuredly seen cinderella and what-not, k?

me: "you don't think the maid ever used a broom in their house?"

a.: "well, how could she if the girl thought you swept the couch with it?"

me: "cuz they script the show?"

her face crumpled, her eyes spun in confusion. other people walked away to not laugh in her face. i did drop it, because i couldn't believe how genuine her bewilderment was!

so, there are people dumb enough to pretend, for 15 minutes of fame, they don't know what a broom does, but there are living, breathing, employed human beings dumb enough to be believe it's true. i weep for humanity.

No comments: